Car Rental Contract Rates

University of California has a system wide car rental program with Enterprise, Hertz, National, Dollar and Thrifty. The contracts offer business travelers the most economical pricing that includes comprehensive insurance for rentals in the United States (through the car rental company)Travelers renting outside the USA may have to purchase additional insurance where coverage in not included in the UC rates.

For domestic car rental reservations, the agreements include insurance applicable for UC business related travel only. At time of rental, UC employees should decline the Collision Damage Waiver (CDW), Loss Damage Waiver (LDW) and Supplemental Liability (SLI) when renting a car for business travel within the United States. Additional insurance purchase at time of is not reimbursable.

International car rental traveling on UC Business is subject to limited insurance and deductibles. You should purchase additional CDW/LDW/SLI insurance when renting in foreign countries even when booked with UC Travel Center. The additional insurance cost will be reimbursable. We highly recommend speaking with a UC Travel Center agent for when reserving for international car rental. Contact your campus Risk Services for car insurance guidelines as each country has different requirements.  See Related Information for list of Campus Risk Services.

What size of car is required by UC Car policy?

UC requires that an economy, compact or intermediate model be requested. These models should be used unless a no- cost upgrade is provided. Justification will be required for cars larger than midsize when requesting reimbursements.

UC Employees and Students are restricted from renting vans over 15 passenger vans from rental car agencies for business or class activities due to safety concerns.

UC Employees and Students are restricted against renting vans with capacity for 10 people including driver for UC business related travel. Regulations require the driver to have a Class B driver license. Because not all commercial rental agencies observe these rules, we will redirect larger groups into multiple smaller vehicles such as 7-8 passenger minivans.

How to make a Car Rental Reservation with UC Travel Center

To ensure that your car rental reservation includes UC preferred rates with car insurance, please select from ways to reserve car rental below.

  1. *Call (310) 206-2639 to speak with a UC Travel Center Agent (Fee applies)
  2. Book UC Travel Center via Online booking in Conexus (No Fee)
  3. *Email your request  to [email protected]. A travel agent will contact you. (Fee applies)

Reserving a car with UC Travel Center Agent or via Conexus – UC Travel Center online booking tool

  1. Indicate if car is for business or personal use
  2. Indicate pick-up and return time and location for car
  3. Indicate if the driver is 25 yrs. old or younger. See *Young Renters between 18-24 years old policy below.
  4. Indicate what size of car, compact or midsize or larger
  5. NO Direct Bill for Car Rental – Traveler must pay with his or her own credit card for reimbursement
  6. Driver must have a major credit card in his or her name.

Frequently Asked Questions

Personal use of UC preferred rates is allowed when extending an approved business rental trip. Only days used for the business portion will be reimbursed and LDW and Liability insurance for personal days will not apply.

Please review Young Renters Driver Policy (between 18-24 yrs. old) below.

A valid driver’s license and major credit card required for young renters.

For Enterprise and National Car Rental:

Renters aged 21-25 may rent from National and/or Enterprise with  no additional surcharge;
Renters aged 18-20 may rent from Enterprise, up to a full-size – only for official University travel

For Hertz

No extra fees for renters 21-24 – business or personal rentals;  

No extra fees for renters 18-24 – only for official University travel

For Dollar and Thrifty

Renter must be 21 years of age, unless mandated by law.            
Underage driver fees for renters 21-24 is included – only for official University travel

Commercial Truck Program – Please  log in to  Connexxuss and refer to Enterprise Commercial Truck Program .